In an increasingly interconnected world, the LPS World Language Curriculum educates students to become communicatively competent and informed global citizens with proficiency in language and critical insights into world cultures. As scholars, language students and teachers pursue research of culture, film, language and literature that contributes to a greater understanding of the human experience around the globe.
Overview of Goals and Standards from the Nebraska K-12 Foreign Language Frameworks
Goal One: Communicate in Language Other than English
- Standard 1.1 Students engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feeling and emotions, and exchange opinions.
- Standard 1.2 Students understand and interpret written and spoken language on a variety of topics.
- Standard 1.3 Students convey information, concepts, and ideas to listeners and readers for a variety of purposes.
Goal Two: Gain Knowledge and Understanding of Other Cultures
- Standard 2.1 Students demonstrate and understanding of the relationship between the perspectives and practices of cultures studied and use this knowledge to interact effectively in cultural contests.
- Standard 2.2 Students demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the perspectives and products/contributions of the cultures studied.
Goal Three: Connect with Other Disciplines and Acquire Information
- Standard 3.1 Students reinforce and further knowledge of other disciplines through foreign languages.
- Standard 3.2 Students acquire information and perspectives through authentic materials in the foreign language and within the cultures.
Goal Four: Develop Insight into the Nature of Language and Culture
- Standard 4.1 Students recognize that different languages use different patterns of interaction and can apply this knowledge to their own culture.
- Standard 4.2 Students recognize that cultures use different patterns of interaction and can apply this knowledge to their own culture.
Goal Five: Participate in Multilingual Communities at Home and Around the World
- Standard 5.1 Students use the language both within and beyond the school setting for a variety of purposes.
For a detailed look at the Nebraska World Language Frameworks, click here: