Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports for Behavior (MTSS-B) is a merge of the best elements of PBIS and other behavior frameworks into a single LPS model. It is not a packaged program or a curriculum, but rather it is a framework for implementing the best evidence-based behavioral practices in order to improve academic and behavioral outcomes for all students. Implementing MTSS-B will help LPS schools accomplish the following:
- Develop ways to prevent behaviors before they happen
- Define and teach students school and classroom expectations
- Acknowledge positive behavior
- Establish consistent consequences
- Use data to make decisions
Here at Southeast High School, we are working especially hard during these first weeks of school to teach our expectations and acknowledge positive behavior when we see it. In this way, we know we are laying the foundation for a productive and positive school year. We want all students to display KNIGHT Pride!
What are Tier 1, 2, and 3 MTSS-B Supports?
Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports for Behavior (MTSS-B) supports all students in Lincoln Public Schools. Grounded in almost 40 years of research, MTSS-B is the only evidence-based practice and framework for supporting all students. MTSS-B has three tiers of academic and behavioral supports:
- Tier 1 supports are for all students (100%). They assure that students are taught school expectations, that positive behavior is acknowledged, and corrective feedback is provided.
- Tier 2 supports are for some students (about 20%). They provide students with additional instruction and practice on the school wide expectations. The Tier 2 supports intensify all of the teaching, acknowledgment, and feedback that occurs with Tier 1 supports.
- Tier 3 supports are for a few students (about 5%). They are focused more on the individual student needs and intensify all previous supports provided in Tier 1 and 2.
These three tiers of support are reviewed by collaborative teams using data. This assures that the supports we put in place for students are working. Level 1 supports are constant and consistent. Level 2 and 3 supports are monitored to support students as long as they may need them.
Here at Southeast High School, we have all three tiers of support for students. We continue to teach our expectations and acknowledge positive behavior when we see it. In this way, we know we are supporting all students to learn the academic and behavior skills necessary for success in and out of school.
Knight Pride Expectations
Lincoln Southeast is committed to promoting a Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports for Behavior (MTSS-B) model for student expectations in the building. Throughout the year, students will be informed of the expectations we expect in Classrooms, Hallways, Cafeteria and in the area of proper technology use. Students will be reminded of these expectations on a regular basis and also have the option of earning Knight Pride Tickets for successfully meeting expectations.
Our Knight Pride expectation posters are available below.