From 1892 until 1955 public secondary education in the southeastern section of Lincoln was provided by College View High School. A special plaque placed by the LSE Student Council in 1984 outlines some of this history.
In the late 1940's it became evident that a large high school was needed in the southeast area of the city to replace the then existing small College View High School and to provide for future growth. The 35-acre plot upon which the school is now situated was located, purchased and architects selected for a Southeast Junior-Senior High School. More than 70 people were involved in the planning before contracts were signed and construction began in 1953.
Southeast Junior-Senior High opened September 25, 1955 under the direction of Principal Hazel G. Scott, with an enrollment of 652 students in grades 7-12. During the first year, many of the school's traditions and patterns were established. Grades 7, 8, and 9 were removed when Pound Junior High opened in 1963.
Since 1955, Lincoln Southeast has undergone a number of remodeling and updating projects. New equipment and facilities have been added as a result of increasing enrollment and changing curricular needs. Today LSE has a student population of appproximately 2,000 students in grades 9-12 with a professional staff of 150. It has the highest accrediation from the Nebraska State Department of Education. It is a member of, and accredited by, the North Central Association of colleges and secondary schools.
But history involves more than a building. LSE students and staff through the years have possessed many talents and performed well in a variety of areas. These accomplishments reflect the quality of education of Lincoln Public Schools generally and Southeast specifically. LSE is proud of those who have left its halls and who are contributing their efforts towards making a better world. And we are conscious of our continuing responsibility to educate present and future students so they may carry on LSE's tradition of educational excellence.