Financial Aid

Financial Aid

The timeline for submitting FAFSA's has changed. For details, please CLICK HERE.

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

Money for post-high school educational aid comes primarily from the federal government, state government, colleges and private sources. College/university bound students requiring financial assistance to pay for post-high school education use the FAFSA form as a first step in applying for student financial aid offered by the Federal Government. The Federal Government’s aid programs are: Pell Grants, Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), Perkins Loans, Federal Parent Loan for undergraduate students and work-study.

To be eligible, you must:

  1. Be a U.S. citizen.
  2. Be registered with Selective Service (if required).
  3. Have financial need.
  4. Attend a participating school.
  5. Be working toward a degree or certificate.
  6. Be making satisfactory progress (for continuing eligibility).
  7. Not be in default or owe a refund on a previously received Federal grant loan.

For some state, government, college university and private funds, FAFSA is the only form you will need to complete. For some, you may be asked to complete an “institutionally-specific” form. In most instances, the advent of FAFSA in 1993-94 made the application process easier, while in others, the process was made even lengthier than in the past.

FAFSA and other financial aid forms should be completed and submitted as soon as possible after October 1st of the year prior to attendance. In some instances, first-come-first-served is a new principle in awarding need-based financial aid for post-high school education, whether it is from federal, state, college/university, or private sources. Students will need to contact financial aid administrators to determine which form(s) to use and whether specific deadline dates have been established.